Saturday, April 19, 2008

Months Weeks Counting Conundrum

I've always had something of a "problem" with what I'll call "easy math." I am terrible at word problems, and proofs, and anything that showcases numbers in a day-to-day setting. I distinctly remember my eighth-grade Florida State mathematics competency exam (Mama will know what to call that) reported back that I could not make change under $20, or calculate elapsed time between two given dates. Oddly enough, I was very good at abstract math, and surprised everyone with a 5 on the AP AB Calculus exam my junior year. There was nothing I loved more than calculating the volume of a donut. But more than anything, I loved engaging friends in a ridiculous argument where I would stubbornly contend that math is a fine work of fiction that we are all forced to live by, and, isn't it therefore just so convenient that everything works out...?

Fast-forward to today. Here I am, engaged in the simple, loving task of uploading volumes of Hope pictures to Flickr. And what seems to be the issue? The set-naming convention we started off with is now confusing the heck out of me. By all rights, I should be populating a new set called "Hope Month 5." But Hope is not yet 5 months old! She is coming up on 19 weeks. But what is a month? Is it 4 weeks? Or is it "calendar time?" This all smells a little like rounding pennies...

Here is what Wikipedia has to offer on the subject: The month is a unit of time, used with calendars, which is approximately as long as some natural period related to the motion of the Moon.

Exactly.

Now, after some debate, and much mental gymnastics, I think I can agree with Bryan that the definition of months that matters to us is based on her birth day of 12/6. This certainly makes some sense to me; but not without raising the old spectres of basic math, and slamming them into college philosophy courses head-on with a discombobulating bang.

So what should I do, dear readers? Rename all the folders, starting with Hope Month Zero, to get us back on track? Switch my syntax mid-stream, and allow for month 4 to float freely across definitions? I'd love your suggestions, as now it's me who needs a nap. Anyway, my first stab is up now on Flickr. At least you get to see the photos, right?

2 comments:

"G" said...

If I'm understanding you right, I think I can explain it. Month 1 (the first month of Hope's life...there is no Month Zero) is the set of days leading up to Hope's first-month anniversary. On Jan. 6 she turned one month old, having COMPLETED her first month. Make sense? On May 6 she'll be five months, and so you are now IN the fifth month...leading up to that momentous occasion.

Also, after four months or so, most of us moms dropped the "weeks" (it got way too hard to remember) and just tried to remember the months. So hopefully it's less to keep in your head! -- Gretchen

-f. said...

Gretchen has it down. I agree with her numbering of the months.

For the actual day to choose, don't get yourself worked up with moon cycles, just use Hope's birthday for that calendar month. Every 6th, Hope completes a new month until December when she completes one year.

I can't believe I'm actually writing about this. I must need kids. I have too much free time.

xo,

-f.